Meet Dr. Ashish Singh at Kleiman Evangelista Eye Centers
Meet Dr. Ashish Singh, one of Kleiman Evanglista’s refractive surgeons. In the following Q&A, learn about Dr. Singh’s areas of specialty, the care that he provides to his patients and what inspires him.
1. What is your specialty?
Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
2. How long have you been with Kleiman Evangelista?
This summer will be 2 years.
3. Where did you go to school and complete your training?
- University of Texas, Austin for biomedical engineering undergraduate degree
- University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas for Medical School and Ophthalmology Residency
4. What inspired you to become a surgeon/doctor?
The ability to have a skill set to positively impact the people in my community was always the goal for me no matter what I did. Seeing how an ophthalmologist could do this by protecting and restoring sight for patients was something I was immediately drawn to, and I have loved it ever since.
5. What is a top question you get from patients?
Will my cataracts come back after cataract surgery? Thankfully no!
6. What is one of your favorite procedures to perform?
While I enjoy the many different refractive surgery procedures that I get to perform such as LASIK and PRK, cataract surgery is my favorite procedure to perform because of its ability to restore people’s vision and quality of life.
7. Can you tell us about a memorable patient experience that you had?
I had one patient present to me for cataract surgery evaluation. He was functionally blind with mature cataracts in both eyes and needed to be guided in and out of the exam room by his daughter. After successful completion of cataract surgery in both eyes, the patient was so excited about having his vision restored. He promptly told me that he would return to work at his old job so that he could help pay for his daughter’s college. It’s experiences like this one that make me thankful that I can perform procedures that positively impact the people in my community.
8. What is something surprising you could tell us about your everyday work?
I spend a surprising amount of time doing cataract surgery and LASIK eye surgery calculations! We are fortunate now to have many procedures that help reduce or eliminate the need for glasses, but they require very precise calculations that are chosen very meticulously. It’s the not so glamorous part of the job.
9. What is your favorite part about working for Kleiman Evangelista?
I love the people in our practice that I get to work with every day and all the patients that I get to meet. We see people from all walks of life and it’s very fun to get to know them and help them achieve the goals they have with their vision.
10. What do you think is the coolest piece of technology that you use at Kleiman Evangelista?
I think it’s a tie between the LenSx Laser Cataract Surgery and the Wavelight LASIK laser. It’s amazing to see how much the technology has improved, and I love getting to use the most up to date equipment for my patients.
11. What do you like to do on the weekends when you’re not working?
My wife and I are either chasing after our dog or our baby! Weekends are a time to decompress, spend time with family and friends, exercise, and recharge for the week.
12. What is something you think everyone should know about eye health?
Many eye conditions such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, and diabetic eye disease are asymptomatic in their early stages. Annual eye exams to detect these problems are key in treating them effectively. So, go see your eye doctor to make sure things are healthy!