What is Keratoconus?
Keratoconus is a lesser-known eye disease in which the cornea (outer, transparent dome-shaped layer of your eye) bulges away from your eye and thins. If left untreated, keratoconus can cause serious vision problems.
Keratoconus Risk Factors
Although exact causes are largely unknown – certain demographics tend to be at higher risk of developing keratoconus:
- People with a family history of keratoconus
- People who frequently rub their eyes (common in patients with seasonal allergies)
- People with certain underlying conditions: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, asthma, retinitis pigmentosa, hay fever, and Down syndrome
Symptoms of keratoconus generally begin to appear in adolescence and include blurred vision, sensitivity to light, glare, distorted vision, frequent changes in vision prescription, and sudden clouding of the vision or sudden worsening of vision.
It’s important to visit a keratoconus specialist as soon as possible if you experience any of the signs or symptoms of keratoconus.
The earlier you are diagnosed with keratoconus, the more treatment options you have available to you. Treatment serves two primary positions: slowing the progression of the disease and improving your vision. Common treatments include:
- Specialized keratoconus contacts, eyeglasses, hybrid lenses, scleral lenses, or piggyback lenses
- Corneal collagen cross-linking, a procedure that prevents the cornea from continuing to change
- Cornea transplant surgeries like penetrating keratoplasty or deep anterior lamella keratoplasty (DALK)
Simply request an appointment to schedule your consultation with a keratoconus specialist here at Kleiman Evangelista Eye Centers.
A Team of Experts.
With decades of combined experiences, Kleiman Evangelista’s doctors provide industry-leading care using the latest, advanced technology and techniques.
Very courteous and professional. Treated me in a way that is top of the line. Made sure I understood everything they were doing. A really great experience.
- Michael S.
The physician was extremely knowledgeable and approachable. Actually, the entire staff was first class.
- Victoria C.
This place is amazing… everyone was great..the procedure itself was not as scary as I thought and now I’m not needing glasses anymore..not even readers
- Cinn R.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
For fastest service during the hours of 8am – 5pm Mon-Fri, call us at (800) 714-2020. Otherwise fill out the form below to request your General Eye Care Exam, Cataract Evaluation, or FREE LASIK Consultation! A Patient Care Representative will be in touch with you shortly to confirm your upcoming appointment.