What to Look for in a LASIK Surgeon
You’ve decided you are ready to have LASIK. Great! The next step is finding the right LASIK surgeon for you – one that you feel comfortable with and confident in. Taking time to choose the best surgeon for your LASIK procedure is an important step in ensuring a satisfying experience and visual outcome.
Finding the Best LASIK Surgeons
Factors to consider when you check qualifications, skills and reputation of a refractive surgeon should include:
- Board certification. This means that a specialty within the American Board of Medical Specialties has certified the surgeon to practice his or her specialty. The American Board of Ophthalmology is one such entity that requires board-certified physicians to complete specific training and continuing education related to their specialty.
- Licensing. State licensing boards can validate a surgeon’s credentials. You can also check a surgeon’s credentials through the National Practitioner Data Bank.
- Professional membership. There are many credible sites that upholds ethical standards of conduct for all its members. These memberships require the doctors to be board certified in their specialty, giving you a great source to find the doctor for you.
- Experience. How many years has a surgeon practiced? How many LASIK procedures has he or she performed?
- Referrals. Ask for a referral from your regular eye care practitioner, whether an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. Tell your doctor that you want the LASIK surgeon in your area with the best reputation in the profession. Also, the best LASIK surgeons themselves can be great sources of referrals. If you know of a refractive surgeon who is well respected in another state, call his or her office and ask for recommendations regarding good surgeons in your area.
- Other resources. The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) and American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) have eye surgeon directories on their websites.
In addition to these resources, you can also do a Google search for LASIK surgeons in your area (for example, a search for “LASIK Dallas/Fort Worth”) and learn more about these doctors from their own websites.
Spotlight on Dr. David Kleiman of Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center
Dr. David Kleiman, founder of Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center, continues to offer the highest quality medical and surgical eye care to residents of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Today, just as he has demonstrated over the previous 20 years, his goal remains to provide the most modern, state-of-the-art ophthalmic treatment available, paired with the comprehensive patient care that sets Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center apart from other eye care centers.
A native of Victoria, Texas, Dr. Kleiman graduated from the University of Texas at Austin and went on to earn his Medical Degree from the University of Texas. He completed his internship at the University of Louisville, where he served as Chief Resident of Ophthalmology. Dr. Kleiman received his Board Certification from the American Board of Ophthalmology in 1984 and serves as Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center’s Medical Director and head surgeon.
Perhaps best known for his expertise in LASIK (Laser Vision Correction), Dr. Kleiman is also an experienced leader in fields ranging from cataract to advanced glaucoma and corneal surgeries, as well as pediatric and adult strabismus surgery.
As Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center’s Medical Director and head surgeon, Dr. David Kleiman takes great pride in setting the tone of superior care and treatment for all of the Center’s patients.
Spotlight on Dr. Anthony Evangelista of Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center
A Minnesota native, Dr. Anthony Evangelista joined the prestigious Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center team in 1999. His philosophy of putting patients first is the same philosophy upon which the Kleiman|Evangelista Eye Center was founded.
Dr. Evangelista received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Microbiology and Biostatistics from the University of Minnesota and a Medical Degree from the University of Minnesota Medical School. He completed his internship at the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis and his residency in Ophthalmology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and the National Board of Medical Examiners, Dr. Evangelista is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Texas Medical Association, American Medical Association and the Tarrant County Medical Association.
Dr. Evangelista is committed to providing the best treatment and medical care to his patients. He specializes in LASIK (Laser Vision Correction); Crystalens no-needle, no-stitch, no-patch cataract surgery; glaucoma surgery; corneal surgery; and pediatric and adult strabismus surgery.
When choosing the right surgeon to perform your LASIK procedure, know that you can trust your eyes in the hands of Dr. Kleiman and Dr. Evangelista. Click here to schedule an appointment today!
Turn To The Top Eye Doctors In Texas
Check out one of our locations below for the best eye care near you:
Kleiman Evangelista Eye Centers of Texas & Arlington ISD Team Up to Help Prepare Local Students for Future Medical Careers